Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Sumer is a 'cumen in

...or out in this case, since fall is rolling on it. I watched the Wicker Man last night; the original, not the silly Nicholas Cage remake. It was kind of a weird film, and not particularly scary. I also wasn't sure who I was supposed to be rooting for. I'm not Christian (or anything for that matter), so the idea of some weird, heathen isle is actually pretty appealing, plus the protagonist is kind of an obnoxious dick the whole time - yelling at people for singing songs, shoving Jesus down everyone's throats, etc.

It was hard to tell if the film was just dated, I was coming from the "wrong" perspective, or the fact that I basically knew the plot ahead of time, that made the film less enjoyable. It's a very pretty film, and all the actors are really good, it was just a bit plodding.

On the other hand, it got me worked up to light a candle and listen to the Agalloch record I got the other day and have been too busy to listen to. The Mantle is a great fusion of pagan, nature-worshipping lyrics and sounds (wind, snow, etc.), folky, but extremely grim, melodies and textures, and metal. They are from Washington state and are way more convincing in their heathen-ness than most of the Scandinavian bands that tread similar ground. Like old Emperor or new Enslaved mixed with Death in June/Der Blutharsch - awesome!

Speaking of ultra-grim, folky, heathen music, I just ordered the record from Alethes from Aquarius records which I should hopefully get sometime next week (barring stocking issues), which I am really excited about.

Plug for Me: My project HARSCH has some songs up here which you might enjoy. Two of the songs I just put up a couple weeks ago, so it's some fresh goodness!

No comments: